Having trouble with your printer? Click here to walk through some questions with Marvin. This will help us get to the bottom of your printer troubles!
1. Enable Printing For Your Account
a) In order for The Receptionist for iPad application to know that you intend to connect to a printer, you first need to enable printing on your account. Follow these steps to enable printing:
- Visit the Printing page for your account.
- Slide the toggle to "On"
- Choose the Brother printer model that you will be using.
- Choose the label that you will be using (if the labels are sample labels from the printer box, then you will want to choose the DK-2205).
- Click the green Save button at the bottom of the page.
b) Configure a Button to Print a Badge
Determine which buttons will print a badge after a visitor has checked in. Our Badge Printing document will assist you with making this happen.
Edit your button and scroll down to enable and set up your badge configuration for any and all buttons you'd like to automatically generate a badge for a visitor during check in.
2. Connect Your Printer to Your Network
If you have not previously setup your printer to connect to your network, you will need to do that first before continuing with these instructions. Since setup is different for each type of printer, we have created guides for all of the Brother printers that we support. If your printer has not been configured to connect to your network, please click on a link below for the operating system that your computer is using, and follow the guide that is specific to the printer model that you have purchased:
3. Connect The Receptionist for iPad Application to Your Printer
Once you have enabled printing on your account, you will need to enter the Printer Settings area from the Settings screen. You access this screen by pressing and holding for 5 seconds at the top middle of the screen. Once you enter your password to confirm you are an account administrator, your iPad will search for and allow you to connect directly with the printer on your network.
If your iPad does not find your printer you may still be able to get the iPad to connect by manually supplying the IP address. To get the IP address of the printer, press and hold the "CUT" button on the printer. The printer will report its configuration by printing out several labels. The IP address of the printer will be listed on one of the labels. You can then press the "MANUAL SETUP" button to manually specify the model and IP address of the printer. Here's a video showing how this is done:
Select the printer and press the "TEST PRINT" button to ensure the iPad can successfully communicate with the printer. There are a couple of issues that can appear at this step:
- You receive a "wrong label" error message. If this happens, you will want to double check the label model that you selected in step 2 of this guide on the Printing page.
- A badge never appears and the application appears to hang or times out. This can happen if the standard network printing port is being blocked on your network. You will want to talk to a network administrator and make sure that the network allows your iPad to communicate over port 9100.
Once you have a successful test print, hit the "<" button in the top left corner and you can exit the screen using the "X" in the upper left. Your changes will save automatically.